Thursday, August 27, 2015

Gift Horse


This is Hans Haacke's sculpture "Gift Horse," which has stood in Trafalgar Square, in front of the National Gallery, since March. The skeletal horse has a live stock ticker tied to its front leg, supposedly questioning relationships between art and commerce and the role of money and power in modern London.

(This is the same spot where the big blue chicken stood last year.)

Our venus flytrap has sent up a long stalk with a bud at the top. I never realized that venus flytraps bloom -- and apparently many growers cut off the bloom because it takes a lot of energy from the plant. But I want to see what it looks like, so we're leaving it. It's taking forever to turn into a flower, and it's true that the plant isn't looking so great these days. I say, let it run its course!

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Can't wait to see what the bloom looks like.
That is an interesting sculpture.

Sharon said...

I remember reading about this horse going up on the 4th plinth! I saw the blue chicken when it was there. I love the idea of putting changing art here.
When I first moved into the house (the one I just moved away from) there was an orchid tree in the front yard and it bloomed every spring. I noticed right away how much energy it took that tree to bloom with all those flowers. Every year, after the blooming cycle it looked weaker and weaker until finally about 3 years ago it didn't recover. It made me sad to lose that tree.

e said...

Poor plant...As to the rest of your inquiry, I was lied to by the individual which became apparent when his autopsy results were obtained. I also think his partner knew more than he was letting on. End of discussion, and yes, a counselor is involved.

The Bug said...

I do that all the time with plants - more out of lethargy than anything. But I'm always curious to see what happens. That horse reminds me of those creatures in the Harry Potter books - that you couldn't see unless you'd seen a dead person.

37paddington said...

please take a picture of the venus flytrap flower!

Elizabeth said...

I look forward to the Venus Flytrap flower! Maybe you can make the flowering event a virtual "Thing," -- sort of like that corpse flower blooming recently and attracting tens of thousands of visitors.

Steve Reed said...

Ms Moon: I can't wait either! It's taking its sweet time, though.

Sharon: It's all about the flowering! I guess once plants have done that, a lot of them think their time is up. (To the extent that they "think" at all.)

E: Well, you'll have to tell me THAT story sometime! Last I heard you were still trying to get autopsy results. I didn't realize you ever got them.

Bug: A certain degree of self-sufficiency is required of all our garden plants as well. We aren't fussy gardeners.

37P: I definitely will, as soon as it blooms! The bud just isn't that interesting...

Elizabeth: Well, I guess it will be a virtual "thing" when I post it here, but I don't think I have the wherewithal to post a picture every day or anything like that. Particularly since the progress is VERY SLOW.