Friday, August 7, 2015

Flower Plaques


When I was five years old, I made these plaques, based on some I saw in my arts and crafts classes at summer camp. As I recall, I came home and hammered together my own versions using stuff I found in the garage and yard.



You gotta love how haphazard they are. The petals of the flowers are made from bits of pine cone, and the stems from sticks. I love the bent nails, the cracks and breaks, the sloppy paint job.

My mom was so impressed with them she took a picture of me:


(The red one in the photo is different from the one we have now. I must have made an extra one. Maybe I gave it away to my regular after-school babysitter, who was a surrogate grandmother to me.)

We hung them in my room, and when I got a few years older they were stored in a closet, and for the past few decades they've been hanging in a guest room. But the blooms are about to fade. My mom isn't keeping them when she moves, and neither am I. I just don't have the will or the space to schlep them back to England. The flowers are finally going back to nature!

8 comments:

Vivian said...

OMG...i love them. You did a great job!!!

utahDOG! said...

booo.. Keep them.

e said...

Oh my, you did a great job with those. I love the photo of you, too...

Elizabeth said...

How sweet -- and adorable you were. Even then -- an artist.

The Bug said...

So artistic! I love that you made them & that your mom kept them.

jenny_o said...

You did a great job - your talent was already showing!

alphabet soup said...

Those works of art were meant to last, just look at how they were put together!!

Ms Soup

37paddington said...

That's amazing work especially for a 5 year old!