Sunday, July 14, 2013

Backyard Wandering


Another quiet day yesterday. I spent most of it meandering around the back yard taking photos of insects and birds. I've been on a quest for a clear photo of a type of damselfly with a neon-green body and a bright blue patch at the tip of its tail. If I ever get one, I'll post it. I know you can't wait.

I left my battered old computer at my mom's house, so I am now using a machine belonging to my stepmother. That's why I can magically comment on certain other blogs once again -- I am free of the curse of silence imposed by my creaky, antiquated Apple. The downside of using this machine, though, is that I temporarily can't upload new photos, because I don't want to load it up with pictures. So my bug photos will have to wait until I get back to England.


Once I'm there, I'll do my best to post some photos of the house my dad and his wife are renovating, as well as the dreaded lubber grasshoppers, as requested. (Re. the grasshoppers, you may be sorry you asked. To me they are the stuff of nightmares.)

I finished "Wonder," by R.J. Palacio, one of the books on the summer reading list for staff and faculty at the school where Dave and I work. It's about a boy with a facial deformity who's going to school for the first time. It was very good -- brought tears to my eyes at times, but wasn't sentimental or sappy. The author did an excellent job depicting everyone, including the boy at the center of the story, as human and flawed, and struggling to open themselves to difference. It's a quick, easy read. I'm now moving on to that David Sedaris book I bought on my way to Jacksonville.

I've just become aware, while writing this post, of the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial. I'm surprised. I really thought he would get manslaughter. It's going to take a while for me to process that!

(Photos: U.S. 41 Books, Masaryktown, Florida)

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

We have those grasshoppers too, of course. They are rather monstrous. Owen is amazed by them.
I don't even know what to say about Zimmerman. It's just too unbelievable.

ellen abbott said...

looking forward to the bug pictures. as for Zimmerman, I expected they would acquit him. he may not be white but he isn't black. and of course they are going to protect the guy with the gun.

Elizabeth said...

I love that photo of the bookstore -- it's nice to sit here and look at it, not think about the shit going down.