Thursday, March 26, 2009

Carnage


My friend Bill, who’s a theater critic, called me at work yesterday with the offer of a free ticket to see “God of Carnage,” a new play on Broadway starring Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, James Gandolfini and Marcia Gay Harden. Naturally, I leaped at that! The play was terrific -- hilarious yet posing serious questions about human nature. There’s even a scene where Hope Davis vomits visibly on stage. What’s not to like?

You all know how much I like spam e-mail with interesting subject lines. Here are two I got this week:

-- Get your head effectively cleaned after last night

-- Become a wild cat for tonight! Scratch him to orgasm!

I guess these were supposed to sound good -- but you know, they just don’t.

(Photo: Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, March 2009)

4 comments:

Barbara said...

The play sounds like something worth watching. So nice that you could just go to the theater somewhat spontaneously.

The spam messages sound like candidates for instant delete. I often wonder what kind of people respond to this garbage and if someone ultimately makes a profit.

Steve Reed said...

I've heard that the costs associated with spam e-mail are so low that it only takes one person in a million to respond for the vendor to make a profit.

(Got another funny one this morning: "Herpes will never play tricks with you")

Merle Sneed said...

I'm not sure if it was my switch to a Mac or another reason, but I rarely get those emails anymore.

Betty said...

scratch him to orgasm Riiiight!
Love your door picture. And the play sounds really good.