Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Resettling


Not much to report today. I'm getting back into my routines after my weekend trip. Unfortunately I also feel like I might be getting sick, but maybe I'm just tired. I'm going to take it easy the rest of this week and hopefully this feeling will pass!

I'm reading an interesting book called "Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic." It's about consumerism, the psychology that drives Americans to be hyper-consumers, and the ways that corporations try to maintain our levels of desire, shopping and debt. Fascinating!

Last night I watched a movie called "The Fan," from 1981, one of those films that every gay man is supposed to know. It features Lauren Bacall as a Broadway star who's being stalked by a deranged male fan. I didn't love it, but I can see why it has earned a following, with its tough iconic female lead, cute stalker and campy special effects.

(Photo: A city tree in SoHo, Aug. 2008)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the book is making you sick! Seriously, I hope you feel better. I continue to believe there are many viruses out there that render us not really sick, but feeling on the verge of illness for a few weeks before they mysteriously release us.

Anonymous said...

Hope your sickness isn't really sickness.

I'll have to check out that film - I haven't seen that one!

Anonymous said...

The book sounds interesting, and the film, The Fan, is one of my favorites. Actually it's kind of dorky by 21st century standards, one reason I love it so.

Hope you're soon feeling back to your standards of excellence!

Anonymous said...

that is possibly the most bestest shadow i ever saw casting itself on a tree. it just makes me calm right down looking at it. very soothing.

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,

I hope you feel better...

The book you're reading spurred my interest in frugal and green living. You also might like an older book by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin, called Your Money Or Your Life. Another interesting author on these topics is Duane Elgin, a sociologist who writes on sustainable and simple living.
Take it easy and happy reading.
Lizzythelibrarian

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing that pbs did a special based on the book affluenza...maybe they've got it out on dvd by now... it's very depressing how much consumption there is in our society...and WASTE

feel better. hugs....

Anonymous said...

actually in looking up to see if I could find the dvd, I just discovered the book was based on the pbs special!!! there's a turn around! my library has a copy of the vhs (no dvd) and a copy of the book...but the book on hold as it's much more recent than the show!

Anonymous said...

I guess we all love Lauren Bacall, not sure why, we just do. Kathleen Turner reminds me of her.....sort of

Anonymous said...

I will look for the book. It sound interesting.