Thursday, April 10, 2008

Spring


Spring is springing here in New York, but it seems to be happening very slowly. I’m not sure it’s any slower than usual - maybe I’m just overeager.

For one thing, the weather has stayed pretty chilly. I’ve been refusing to wear my coat; I guess I’ve been subconsciously willing it to get warmer! Fortunately I’m able to get by with just a jacket.

When I came back from California on Monday, the ornamental pear trees were blooming along Lexington Avenue near my apartment. In just the few days I was gone the trees turned into soft white clouds. And there are big pink buds on the Japanese magnolia in the back yard - I love it when that tree blooms each year.

We also have daffodils blooming in the front flower bed, but only in the sunny part. The daffodils in the shady, cooler areas don’t have flowers yet. Funny how nature interacts that way, with plants growing just a few inches apart on different schedules! We have tulips coming up too, but they bloom later.

It’s futile to feel like I want to hurry things along - nature doesn’t listen to me, after all - but I am SO ready for the change of seasons!

(Aside: Whenever I think of nature personified, I think of Mother Nature from the old Chiffon margarine commercials.)

(Photo: Long Island City, Queens, March 2008)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu

This is the first year I am in a hurry--I want warmth and sunshine earlier, and I know I need to slow down--summer will be long enough. (I'm still looking forward to it though!)

Anonymous said...

I always think of "Mother Nature" too. You know it really ISN'T nice to fool Mother Nature. Maybe you should put your coat back on till it warms up properly.

It's been a slow and gloomy spring here, too. Berlin weather, all grey and damp, chilly.

But I'll be complaining about the heat before you know it, so I'm trying to enjoy the jacket weather.

Anonymous said...

Ched: That's a great quotation! As I was writing this entry, I was thinking, "Hurrying nature along isn't very Zen!" But I can't help it. :)

Reya: Actually, today is warmer. The jacket was more than adequate.

Anonymous said...

We can't wait for all of the fruit trees to blossom on campus!

The Trustees

Anonymous said...

In the desert we know not to complain about the coolness. Spring is short here and summer will linger into October.

I have a Crepe Myrtle bush and one day it is as dormant as can be, the next it is fully leafed. It literally happens overnight.

Anonymous said...

One of the many great things about Seattle is that we have an early Spring - we've had Crocus and Daffodils for weeks now, and beautiful plum and cherry trees in blossom - and the Tulips are starting to bloom, too. Like you, I am VERY ready for warmer weather. Fortunately, it'll be 60 here by the weekend!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is: I understand your rush after the winter. But spring goes so fast. Enjoy every smidgen of it.

Anonymous said...

we've had late spring, and winter, and late spring - al within about 5 days.

its very confusing.


great picture - i feel a bit like that.
the ad. made me larf tho

Anonymous said...

I like Mother Nature's no nonsense attitude.