Friday, October 12, 2007

Mercer Street, August 2007


The creature above, by street artist Dirty Boards, may as well be me celebrating my 15 minutes of fame.

Another of our New York street artists, who goes by the name BilliKid, makes big posters of a pink Cadillac convertible with his buddies behind the wheel -- artist friends, gallery owners or street art photographers. I have been so honored. That’s right, folks - I’m currently driving the Caddy on West 27th Street.

Check it out here.

BilliKid met me a couple of weeks ago and took my photo. He then used it to work me into his cartoon fantasy. I even have a personalized license plate!

I haven’t yet gone to see it myself. The weather this week has been so miserably rainy and my schedule has been so busy that I just haven’t been able to trek over there. I hope to see it this weekend - if it’s not gone by then! (That’s one of the uncertainties of street art - it could last months, or it could be torn down almost immediately.)

Oh, and as for the best Beatles song - I promised this discussion yesterday - I personally go for the later Beatles, and I like their more unusual stuff. “I Am the Walrus,” for example, is a great song. And of course I like “Yesterday” and “Hey Jude” and “The Long and Winding Road,” but they’re not challenging enough to be the best, in my opinion.

I opt for “A Day in the Life,” from the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album. With those mysterious lyrics - “four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire” - and that intense orchestral crescendo at the end, well, it wins my vote.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve this is so cool!! Love the mural featuring you. That is great!! Bravo!!!!!!!

Beatles songs? I'm a fan of just about every song on Rubber Soul, but I also think the song Revolution 9 is truly amazing, but maybe that's because I smoked so much dope back then.

No song will ever affect me as deeply, though, as Imagine by John Lennon. That's more than a song - it's a hymn. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

How coll is that?

Anonymous said...

excellent Steve, thats so great.

I always had a soft spot for Hey Jude, not sure why. Also like A day in the life too.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the billikid collabo! fantastic!

if you're going to w. 27th between 10th and 11th, be sure to check out w. 28th on that block too.

:) LP