Wednesday, June 6, 2007

East 29th Street, June 2007


Continuing on the recent "view from my window" theme, here's my view of the Empire State Building. I took this at dusk two nights ago. I especially like the nights when the ESB is lit with white lights - the colors change constantly, depending on the season and holidays, but I go for the simplicity of white. It's very Grace Kelly/Audrey Hepburn, as opposed to the colored lights, which are kind of Stella Stevens.

Most neighborhoods in New York City have very distinct identities. My neighborhood, on the other hand, is kind of an in-between zone. I've mentioned before that the AIA Guide to New York architecture calles my neighborhood Rose Hill, but that's an old historic name that I never hear anyone actually use.

It's sometimes called Murray Hill, but most people think of Murray Hill proper as the area of stately townhouses a few blocks north. My street is just a little more earthy than much of Murray Hill proper. (But as a coworker once told me, "When you sell your apartment, it's Murray Hill.")

I think we should call ourselves "SoMuHi," for South Murray Hill. Rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture of the ESC Steve. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

ESB, can't type or proofread!

Anonymous said...

great image.

Anonymous said...

i live in a kind of in-between zone too - much more interesting, dontcha think?

great picture.
I def. must come and visit!

:o)

Anonymous said...

You def. must! :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely hopperesque photo

Anonymous said...

I lived on 30th & 3rd for many years--above the bank street cafe --I wonder is it still there...on the top floor of the building and some people called it Murray Hill some said Kips Bay -- but ? what was it I don't know. I spent my entire childhood and most of my adult life on number streets, even in LA ended up on a street with a number. Maybe this is why I have no lucky number. I like that neighborhoods have names. and the old telephone exchanges.

Talmadge 2 8071