Monday, June 11, 2007

E. 4th Street, June 2007


Yesterday Mom and I went up to The Cloisters, the Metropolitan Museum's showpiece of medieval European art and architecture. It's located at the northern tip of Manhattan, so we climbed on the A train with some rowdy teenage revelers from the Puerto Rican Day Parade and zipped northward.

It always amazes me to see art that's been hanging around for 800 years. Thank goodness for churches, where things were tucked into closets or venerated on altars and thus well preserved. We saw the famous unicorn tapestries, which show hunters tracking, capturing and killing a unicorn - a Christian allegory. They're probably the most famous artworks up at The Cloisters.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you and your mom had a great weekend in spite of all the rowdy party people around you. It was gay pride weekend here - lots of rowdy partying all around me, too!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Steve. When I see a very old work of art, I think of the person or persons who labored to create it. The have no way of knowing that it will survive to be enjoyed by distant generations.

I am glad that you and your mom are having a good visit.

Anonymous said...

I do love the Closieters - it's so pretty there. Enjoy time with your mum. ;-)

Anonymous said...

lovely (orderly :o)) photo.

(i do like some of the anarchic ones just as much tho)

Anonymous said...

you sure know to take your mom to cool places.


photo is odd. I like it.