Friday, February 16, 2007

Roosters, Williamsburg Bridge, Sept. 2006


These crowing roosters are common in lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. I took all these shots in the vicinity of the Williamsburg Bridge.


Usually they're on a wall...


And occasionally they're on the ground.


I especially like this one, on the sign at the entrance to the bridge. It morphs and changes color every so often, given that this is a popular graffiti spot. If you look closely you can see the dignified raised lettering of the bronze sign, beneath all the paint.

Cat update: You may remember I took my cat to the vet the other day because she's been losing weight. The good news is, she doesn't have anything rare, exotic or imminently dangerous. The bad news is, she has hyperthyroid, which must be treated. In the short term I have to medicate her (this should be fun!). In the long term she needs either surgery to remove her thyroid, or a minimally invasive but expensive-as-hell treatment called "Radio Cat," which involves implanting a pellet of radioactive material near the thyroid to destroy the overactive tissue. (This is similar to the way prostate disease is treated in men.) I'm leaning toward the latter, despite the cost, which is so embarrassing I can't even tell you about it.

No comments: